There is a scheduled Study Session on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 @ 9 AM in the Township main hall. Here is the (tentative) Safety Path Review Agenda:
1. History of Safety Path Program
2. Budget for Safety Path Program
3. Proposed 2013 Routes
4. Maintenance for Safety Paths
5. Future Routes on Master Plan
6. Discussion/ Action
The seven members of the Board of Trustees and most likely employees that have worked with safety paths in the past from the Engineering and Environment Departments and others will engage in a discussion as to the direction of the program in the future. The public is encouraged to attend and the Board of Trustees will permit comments from the public. I have gathered information from the Township website for your review prior to the meeting.
1. HERE IS A LINK FOR SOME HISTORY OF THE SAFETY PATH PROGRAM THAT BEGAN IN 1999 ...please read the one page history at this link. *****Go to this site to also find a MAP of the Township and Safety Paths.
2012 Safety Path Program
This year’s program includes construction of new paths in the following locations:
- Telegraph Road – west side from Maple Road to Sandalwood Drive. (.4 miles)
- Telegraph Road – west side from Long Lake Road to Exeter Road. (.2 miles)
- Square Lake Road – north side from Bowers Farm to Adams Road. (.1 miles)
- Adams Road – west side from Square Lake Road to Ashover Drive (.7 miles)
In 2011, Bloomfield Township constructed the following paths:
- 14 Mile Road – north side from Telegraph Road to Lahser Road (1.04 miles)
- 14 Mile Road – north side from Orchard Lane to Crosswick Road (.54 miles)
- Telegraph Road – west side from Orchard Way to Maple Road (.2 miles)
- Covington Road – west side from Amberly Road to Covington Middle School (.42 miles)
- Square Lake Road – south side from the International Academy to Squirrel Road (.21 miles)
- Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) will completed construction of Township requested paths on Telegraph Road, utilizing Federal ARRA funding, totaling 2.4 miles.
From the Bloomfield Township WEBSITE on BUDGET: http://www.bloomfieldtwp.org/Government/Budget.htm
3. HERE IS A LINK FOR INFORMATION ON THE 2013 SAFETY PATH ROUTES
The following is just a part of the minutes from November 12, 2012 Board of Trustees meeting concerning an agenda item on Safety Paths: http://bloomfieldtwpmi.minutesondemand.com/
4. HERE ARE TWO LINKS TO SOME INFO ON MAINTENANCE OF SAFETY PATHS
From the UPDATE to the Strategic Plan
"Many of our residents enjoy our 67 miles of safety paths. While it was never our intention to keep the safety paths clear of snow in the winter (we do not have the resources to keep them consistently and reliably free of ice and snow), we do work hard the rest of the year to keep them maintained."
[PDF] Bloomfield Township Public Works Annual Report 2010
...They are also responsible for administering the state highway landscape maintenance contract and the safety path and outlot mowing contracts....
I ALSO RECOMMEND YOU REVIEW THE BUDGET FOR MAINTENANCE COSTS
5. A "SEARCH" FOR THE 1999 MASTER PLAN FOR SAFETY PATHS DID NOT RESULT IN A COPY OF THE 1999 DOCUMENT
[PDF] Spring 2004 Newsletter
...The interest, the Township Board, Township currently has working with consulting approximately 29 miles of engineers, developed a presafety paths; 20 miles of paths liminary Safety Path Master were constructed between Plan. 1999 and 2003 with funds The Plan: provided by the first safety P Identifies and locates path millage....
I RECOMMEND YOU REVIEW THE MAP FOUND AT THE BELOW LINK. IT MAY HELP YOU DECIDE WHERE OR IF MORE SAFETY PATHS ARE NEEDED OR WANTED:
6. THERE IS NO LINK ON THE WEBSITE FOR DISCUSSION AND ACTION:
YOU ARE THE LINK AND YOUR PRESENCE AND OPINIONS ARE NEEDED AT THE SPECIAL STUDY SESSION THIS WEDNESDAY, 2/13/13 AT 9 A. M. AT THE TOWNSHIP HALL.
7. QUESTIONS AND POSSIBLE ACTION BY THE BOARD:
- Should the Township authorize another special millage for more safety paths?
- Should the Township authorize a special millage just for the purpose of repair and maintenance of existing safety paths?
- IF your answer is yes, for how many years and at what rate?
- Should the Township let the Safety Path millage expire in 2013?
- Does anyone have a different possible action concerning the Safety Paths?
8. MY OPINION:
- Remember, that special millages may ONLY BE SPENT on the issue/program as stated on the ballot. The money may not be used for any other township purpose. For that reason, my opinion is to have the SAFETY PATH millage EXPIRE in 2013 and NOT be RENEWED.
- The General Fund can and should be used for township purposes. In 2010, the voters approved a 1.3 mill as an "operational millage". That millage is for ten years and collects approximately 4 million dollars per year. This money may be used for safety paths.
- Adjust the routes (if needed) to be built with the already collected 1.5 million dollars for 2013 to fulfill a void in the connections of the paths.
- The Township should report the amount of excess or (loss) of money noted at the end of each budget year since 1999 in the safety path fund. I believe since 1999 there should be a surplus of funds currently available and earning interest. I would like to know that figure. That money and the vehicles/equipment purchased with safety path millage money should be used for safety path repairs in the future.
- At this writing, I am NOT in favor of extending the safety path program. I will attend and participate in the study session meeting. There needs to be strong evidence that would change my mind. That said, based on comments made by the Township leadership at various times of the year, I believe the majority of the members of the Board want to continue and/or expand the safety path program. Is this what you want? Please attend the meeting.
- FYI: In 2013...there is another Police/Fire millage expiring.
- FYI: In 2013... the Senior Services millage is expiring. This subject should also have a Study Session.